CRUST - UR Chieti
The UR-Chieti approaches to the seismotectonic analysis from a multi-scale and interdisciplinary point of view, fully integrating geological, seismological and geophysical data. The active tectonic setting of the study areas is interpreted at the light of the long-term deformational history. The methodology used for the geometric-kinematic reconstruction of both the individual fault structures and the regional seismotectonic provinces, is "three-dimensional". This approach on one hand strongly obliges the researcher to reduce the space for models not consistent with the available dataset, the other allows you to develop alternatives.
Presently undergoing research projects concerns:
• Construction of a detailed three-dimensional model of Quaternary faults for southern central Italy. The model is based on the elaboration of a uniform database of Quaternary faults, extrapolated in depth to the base of the seismogenic layer. The extrapolation in depth is constrained both by geological sections, seismic lines and boreholes, as well as by the analysis of the spatial distribution and kinematics of seismic sequences and background seismicity;
• Construction of a kinematic and seismotectonic three-dimensional model of Italy, usable in general for seismic hazard studies and, specifically, for studies of seismicity induced and triggered;
• Detailed studies (geological survey, structural analysis, morphotectonic analysis, definition of strain rates) are performed in test areas of the Italian Apennines with high seismogenic potential;
• Analysis of stress and strain fields of geological and seismological data, calculation of slip tendency;
• 3D finite element modeling with reverse interferometric data;
• Analysis spatio-temporal and kinematic of seismicity cluster, swarms and seismic sequences;
• Analysis of ground-motions for seismotectonic purposes.